Sunday, December 18, 2005

 
Ah, Christmas... That most joyous of celebrations. Chaos in the streets, food on the pavements and nothing in the cinemas, unless you fancy "Harry Potter", "Narnia" or "King Kong" (none of which I have seen, so I would not comment on any of them, of course).

Having finished the morning at work (I did a favour for somebody who wanted to get rat arsed at the Christmas shindig) I went to the Cineworld at Board Street and saw a British-French-German co production "Merry Christmas" or "Joyeux Noel" to give it it's correct title. The film is based around the famous Christmas 1914 ceasefire between Germany, England and France during World War One when the soldiers left their trenches, exchanged gifts, sang carols and celebrated mass together. I have no idea if events as described actually happened (did a Bishop - a man of the cloth - actually make such an obscene and appalling speech as described at the end of the film?), or if these characters actually existed as portrayed, but it hardly matters. I thought that it was a wonderful and very moving film. If you do not have a lump in your throat by the end, check your pulse. You are probably dead.

Sadly, Cinema Fuckwad make an unwelcome return in the guise of a gaggle of teenage girls. Talking, laughing, irritating, mobile phone using scum. When the credits started they were still at it, so I very loudly asked them to "Please be quiet, for Christ's sake!". I think that I was suprisingly polite. Anyway, the film was not what they expected. 5 minutes in, confused by the fact that some of the actors were not speaking English and obviously unable to keep up with the subtitles at the bottom of the screen, they left. I do hope that they were not Cineworld card users, or had not just wandered into the film without paying after having just finished in "King Kong" or one of the other blockbusters, because I would like to think that all 8 of them wasted their money. True, there was nothing to stop them sneaking into one of the other films...

Disgracefully Shayne won the "X-Factor" last night. Disgracefully because I put a bet on Andy to win. Actually, I admit Shayne wasn't bad on the night, but Andy was better. It will be interesting to see if either of them have a career of any length.

I tried to watch Tom Cruise in "Collateral" last night. Somehow I phased out just after he had appeared onscreen and woke up at 2am, freezing cold. I don't think of it as a comment on the film or on Mr. Cruise. I was just incredibly tired.

The rest of this afternoon? Haircut, ogle Ashlyn's (the hairdresser's) tits, home, eat a couple of chicken curry patties, drop some presents around to my Mom's, go to see "March Of The Penguins", pick up Lorraine.

There will be no post tomorrow. We are going out during the evening to see Elaine Paige at the Symphony Hall. I am really looking forward to it. I heard this afternoon that Jack Barrowman, Captain Jack from "Doctor Who", is going to be a guest singer. They are broadcasting the concert on Radio 2 on Friday night.

Rock on! I glory in my uncoolness!

Comments:
Oh that movie sounds interesting. That is something I would definately watch, but I can tell that film will never be shown here. (Perhaps the off chance of it coming on DVD in the future)

Is it something like the 90's film "A Midnight Clear"? I thought that was a really good film, though not a very joyous Christmas movie.

Have fun at the concert
 
Shayne was *always* going to win, you great banana....
 
Ginny - Yes, it was an interesting film. Funnily enough, we got it in one of our multiplexes, but you are more likely to catch it at an art house.

I have seen "A Midnight Clear". Wonderful, emotive, strange film. I have liked every film that I have seen of Keith Gordon's. Have you ever seen "Static" which he co-wrote and starred in? (It was directed by Mark Romanek who directed "One Hour Photo".) That film is in my top 10 of all time.

I don't think that you can compare "Merry Christmas" and "A Midnight Clear". I think that "A Midnight Clear" had a Hollywood sheen that "Merry Christmas" does not, but then again "Merry Christmas" is no a Hollywood film. "A Midnight Clear" is also probably the better film, to be honest.

Lord Bargain - Well, I don't know about that. I suppose that Shayne was the obvious winner from the off, but apparently it got really close in the voting towards the end.
 
The multiplexes in Broad Street are quite good for that aren't they? Guess that's because there are so many screens in that area, they might as well.

In Bristol, a much smaller city, the multiplexes on show the regular stuff :-( Mind you, we do have 3 art-house cinemas in the city centre so I'm not going to compain too much, especially as you can drink in two of them! :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?